Thursday, December 27, 2007

Befriending the Impostor (In Ourselves)

This blog post has relocated to a book, The WiseWorking Handbook. Please visit it there.  

Please purchase a copy at Balboa Press (http://bit.ly/1wfqwBU). 

For signed copies, reach me at craig@wiseworking.com

Thanks in advance for reading the book and spreading the word about it.

Finally, please rate it at Amazon.comBN.comGoodReads.com, and other websites where books are sold and reviewed. 



What readers are saying:

"The WiseWorking Handbook is written in a down to earth, engaging style.” - Bud Bulanich

"Get this book. Read it. Keep it handy for when you need a little inspiration or some solid advice on how to work wisely and increase your value at work.” - Bud Bulanich

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Impostor Phenomenon Among High Achieving Women... hmmmm. I am not sure that I subscribe to this. I am a high achieving woman. I am confident in my abilities and have the ROI to back up my assumption that I have (great) ability. Where I struggle are two places: Do others recognize and accept my full abilities at the same level as I perceive them to be? And the underlying assumption that, in most circumstances, I could have done "it" better (whatever it is at the time). The latter is not a lack of confidence in my abilities but rather drive and perfectionism. I'm not sure where the former comes from but Erickson would likely trace it back to an identity crisis I must have had in my teenage years. In any event, I do not feel like an imposter, a poser in street lingo.

If you read between the lines, a dichotomy emerges. I believe everything I do can be done better, eg perfectly (I am making a generalization). I am concerned that people do not recognize my full abilities. And therein lies the rub. If I believe that I can always do something better then that is what I will project and ultimately what people will see. Thus, how can they recognize my full abilities?

What do I do? If I curb my quest for perfection, will my drive wane and ultimately constrain me to achieve and accomplish less? In this way, at times our strong suits, such as drive, can be limiting. So what is one to do?